Tuesday, September 2, 2008

About Me

My full name is Annamarie Chantel Sysling...but since I despise my middle name and Annamarie is a mouthful of a name to say on a regular basis I prefer "Anna". I've just started my second year at Western and as of right now I'm majoring in Journalism but thinking of changing my major.
I'm originally from Grosse Pointe, a suburb of Detroit, and even though a large amount of people from my high school attend Western, it's still nice to get away from the monotony of the Grosse Pointe community and chaos of my family (...there's five kids in my house and three of them are under the age of 5...).
Ideally I hope to live in New York as a Fashion Journalist, but if my current ambivalence leads me to another career path, then I'd also enjoy living along the West Coast at some point. I love being active and being outdoors, some of my favorite activities include running, yoga and rock climbing, but I'll try pretty much anything that seems appealing to me. When I'm not exercising I like to read, write, draw and listen to music...I'm kind of obsessive with books and music in the sense that I'm always looking for something new in both genres which leads to my interest in African Literature...last year I took American Lit and despite my apathy regarding most of the Puritan writers we studied I really enjoyed learning about the African writers during the Slavery/Slavetrade portion that was covered in the class, so when I saw that Western had an entire class about literature from Africa I knew I had to take it!
After I graduate I plan to join the Peace Corps and go to either India or Africa, so besides being excited to learn about the literary aspect of Africa I'm also looking forward to learning about African contemporary culture and the lifestyle that accompanies it.

2 comments:

Katieb2385 said...

Wow you sound like a very interesting girl!! I hope to one day meet you!! LOL luv ya!! xoxo

Allen Webb said...

So glad you have joined this class! I would love to hear more about your rock climbing experiences. The class should be a good preparation for thinking about the Peace Corps.